Saturday 29 June 2013

Life update - India

After a summer of tech news, I'm somewhat blown away and exhausted for tech/internet things I want to blog about. WWDC, E3 and I/O have come and gone, but I failed to write about these properly because my focus was on the next item on my personal list of life: travelling to India.

Our journey includes around 15 hours of flying/airport-waiting from Dublin to Dubai to Hyderabad. Not my longest stint by a long shot; the time will fly on Emirates. I don't generally have problems with long haul flights, although when I think back to times before there were TVs in each seat, I shudder. This is either because as I've grown older, I've grown more patient, or as inflight entertainment technology has become awesome, travelling has become a breeze. Yeah, probably the latter. I might be a teeny tiny bit excited about seeing what new features and movies await us inflight.

From Hyderabad's cosmopolitan buzz, we're flying down south to the town where I was born, Madurai. A smaller, less overpopulated area, Madurai is home to the Meenakshi Amman Temple. After  a short day, we'll be making our way to Bodinayakanur, the town where my dad's side are from. My cousin's wedding, the main event of the trip, will be a week long ceremony, where we'll visit relatives, play cards, walk in the sun, and possibly do a lot of errand running.

Words can only get me so far. It's been a long time since I've been to India, and this time I'm more excited than ever. I don't know if it's because: I'm older, and have new found appreciations for the exclusive luxuries I'm afforded, so rarely available to most people living close to or within their country of origin; or if it's because this is the first time I will be traveling with a friend from home, notably a girlfriend, which will bring it's own interesting stories; or if it's because since weekly hangouts with my family, I feel more in touch, and more eager to meet with them again; or if it's because since moving out of home, I'm eating less spicy, delicious Indian food. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm really excited about India this year, and that's a good thing.










No comments:

Post a Comment